- 2 1/2 lbs. lean ground beef (mix equally ground pork, veal, and beef hjm notes)
- 1/2 cup grated pecorino Romano cheese
- 3/4 cup dry Italian-style bread crumbs
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup chopped garlic
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 lb. spaghetti, uncooked
- 1/4 cup grated parmigiano reggiano cheese (for serving)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil (for serving)
TO MAKE THE MEATBALLS:
In a large bowl combine ground meat, Romano cheese, bread crumbs, eggs, garlic, and salt; mix well. Shape into meatballs size of golf balls. The restaurant is noted for large Meatballs! Use all of the meat mixture - makes about 35 meatballs. Set meatballs aside and let rest for approximately 1 hour.
Cook meatballs in the Meatball Sauce.
Cook spaghetti according to package directions; drain.
Serve meatballs and sauce over pasta. Top servings with parmigiano reggiano cheese and fresh basil.
- 6 cloves Garlic Clove
- 150 g Yellow Onion Large
- 1 Large Stalk (11"-12" Long)
- 1 large Carrot, Raw
- 3 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Italian Parsley
- 56 oz Tomatoes, Crushed Plum
- 1/5 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Pepper, Black
Slice the garlic cloves; Dice the Spanish onion into 1/4 inch pieces; chop the celery; chop the carrot; chop the parsley; In a LARGE heat proof casserole saute over medium heat the garlic, onion, celery and carrot in the olive oil until translucent. Add the parsley. Add the 2-28 oz cans of tomatoes (Cento brand is good) with their juice. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil then lower the heat and add the meatballs. The volume will increase significantly, but will reduce by 1/3 during cooking (about 45 minutes-though I sometimes simmer for much longer). Serve over pasta. Garnish with basil and parmesan reggiano.