Italian for "brother devil," fra diavolo sauce is usually made with tomatoes and always spicy. This site will give you the restaurant copycat recipe for this dish.
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled, deveined
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil,
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can of diced tomatoes
- 1 cup of dry white wine
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 Tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 3 Tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- Toss the shrimp in a medium bowl with 1 teaspoon of salt and red pepper flakes.
- Heat the 3 tablespoons oil in a heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the shrimp and sauté for about a minute, toss, and continue cooking until just cooked through, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Transfer the shrimp to a large plate; set aside.
- Add the onion to the same skillet, adding 1 to 2 teaspoons of olive oil to the pan, if necessary, and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes with their juices, wine, garlic, and oregano. Simmer until the sauce thickens slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Return the shrimp to the tomato mixture; toss to coat, and cook for about a minute so the flavors meld together.
- Stir in the parsley and basil. Season with more salt, to taste, and serve over your favorite hot pasta.