This dish from Buca di Beppo features Italian bulk sausage and dark leafy greens with a touch of red pepper flakes over pasta is sure to be a winner at your house. Read on to learn how to make this dish at home in your kitchen.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 pound Italian bulk sausage
- 3 large garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 medium bunches escarole, chopped
- 2 large fresh tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 pound penne
- 1/4 cup Pecorino Romano cheese, grated
- 1 cup ricotta salata cheese, diced in 1/4-inch cubes
- In a large, deep skillet, heat olive oil and add sausage. Brown well, breaking up meat as it cooks.
- Add the garlic and cook until golden brown.
- Add escarole, tomatoes, crushed red pepper flakes and salt. Sauté for a few minutes.
- Add chicken stock. Cook for about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water until al dente. Drain well and add to skillet.
- Sprinkle with cheese and toss well.
- Place on a serving platter and garnish with ricotta salata cheese.