Saltimbocca means "jump into the mouth". This chicken dish from Buca di Beppo contains sauteed chicken breasts layered with sage and prosciutto, topped with artichoke hearts, lemon butter sauce and capers. This recipe is an original from the chef at the restaurant.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 thin slices of Prosciutto ham
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage
- 3 ounces olive oil
- 1 ounce all-purpose flour
- 5 ounces artichoke hearts, quartered
- 1/2 ounce capers
- 4 ounces white wine
- 2 ounces fresh lemon juice
- 2 ounces heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Lightly salt the chicken breasts and sprinkle evenly with chopped sage.
- Place the sliced Prosciutto on top the chicken and pound it into the breast until the thickness of the chicken measures 3/8-inch.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a sauté pan.
- Lightly flour the chicken pressed with prosciutto.
- Place in heated oil, Prosciutto side down. Brown one side, turn and brown the other side.
- Drain off excess oil, and deglaze with 4 ounces of white wine. Add the artichokes, fresh lemon juice, cream and butter and cook until sauce is thickened.
- On a large platter, place the chicken breasts topped with reduced sauce and garnish with capers.