- manicotti shells
- bechamel sauce
- marinara sauce
For the Filling:
- 2 eggs
- 12 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup provolone cheese
- 1/4 cup romano cheese
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley, chopped
Make the Bechamel Sauce:
- Make a roux with two tablespoons of butter and two tablespoons of flour in a small sauté pan.
- Melt the butter over medium heat and add the flour.
- Incorporate completely cooking for five minutes over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, bring two cups of milk to a simmer in a sauce pan. When the milk has come to a simmer, add 1/2 teaspoon of salt, a dash of white pepper and a dash of ground nutmeg. Add the roux.
- Bring the sauce to a simmer and cook for ten minutes. Set aside.
Cook the Shells:
- Purchase manicotti shells, preferably imported Italian, at the store.
- Prepare 2 shells per person according to package direction, subtracting two minutes of the recommended cooking time.
- Remove pasta from boiling water and place shells in ice water until completely cold.
Fill the Manicotti shells:
- Use a pastry bag fill the pasta shells with the manicotti filling.
- Cover the bottom of a small casserole dish with marinara sauce. Place the three stuffed manicotti on top of the marinara sauce.
- Using a tablespoon cover the manicotti with the Bechamel sauce. Sprinkle lightly with Romano cheese.
- Bake at 425 degrees F, uncovered, for 25 minutes, or until golden brown.